Tom and Emma School of English organises courses for children and adults and prepares students for the Cambridge exams.
Founded in 1993, the school is family-run and is situated in a semi-detached house with a garden in a residential area of Belgrade. There are 9 modern classrooms with excellent resources – each has a TV, DVD and Wi-Fi. The school has first-class facilities for teachers, with an extensive library and a computer centre.
There is a friendly atmopshere in the school, with dedicated, experienced and supportive teachers, responsive to the needs of the students. On our teaching staff we have both local teachers and native speakers of English. Our aim is to ensure effective learning takes place in an enjoyable way, within a safe and supportive yet challenging environment.
Particular attention is paid to developing our students’ communicative competences. Students receive a high level of individual attention and student progress is carefully monitored. There is a maximum of 8 students per class. We also organise a number of extra-curricular activities, as well as summer courses, to increase our students’ exposure to English.
In 2007 Tom & Emma became a fully accredited member of Eaquals, and is the first private language school in Serbia to gain Eaquals accreditation.
- All levels for children and adults and preparation for Cambridge exams.
- In general, courses are completed in a year and students attend classes twice a week for an hour, or for older or more advanced students an hour and a half.
- All our students take an internal end-of-year test, corresponding with their appropriate CEF level and successful students are awarded a certificate for that level.
For more information on Tom & Emma go to the video clip with English subtitle ‘Do you know how to choose a GOOD language school?’
Are interested in teaching at Tom & Emma School?
If you are an English teacher or a native speaker of English willing to do conversation classes, contact us and find our more.
Our aim is to ensure effective learning takes place in an enjoyable way within a safe and supportive yet challenging environment. Tom and Emma has established and aims to maintain outstanding standards of teaching and management, which is done adhering to the following principles:
- Accepting that student motivation is the key to successful learning which also stimulates learner autonomy.
- Accepting that all students have individual learning styles and therefore needs and responding and adapting to them accordingly. This is made possible due to our small class sizes (maximum of 8 students per group) and individual classes where necessary.
- Exposing students to English outside the classroom through extra curricular activities; access to an extensively stocked library with readers at all levels and a fully equipped computer lab with designated teacher support.
- Thoroughly monitoring and assessing our students at all stages; upon joining the school to ensure appropriate group placement, during the school year to ensure progress and at the end of the school year to determine their level.
- Encouraging all students to reach their full learning potential by eventually taking an internationally recognized exam such as the Cambridge Suite of Exams: First Certificate in English, Cambridge Advanced Examination and Cambridge Proficiency Examination.
- Using predominantly the communicative approach in our teaching with a special focus on developing students’ communicative skills through the use of dedicated native speaker classes.
- By using a syllabus for all levels which corresponds to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) levels (see down).
- By using a wide and continuously updated variety of resources in the classroom.
- By employing dedicated and dynamic teachers who have an English degree or a professional teaching qualification.
- Supporting all teachers to develop professionally through internal and external workshops, seminars and professional qualifications.
- By closely monitoring our teacher and management standards through internal and external assessment and regular feedback from students and parents.
- By having an ‘open door’ policy for students, staff and parents to raise any issues they may have about the work of the school.
- By co-operating extensively with YALS, English Language Teachers’ Association (ELTA), the British Council and other professional English language teaching bodies.
FRAMEWORK OF LEVELS AT ‘TOM & EMMA’ SCHOOL OF ENGLISH BASED ON THE CEFR COURSES FOR YOUNG LEARNERS, TEENS, YOUNG ADULTS
|Course Title||CEFR level||No. of hours|
|pre – school b||Eb||72|
|pre – school a||Ea||72|
|pre – intermediate c||A2c||72|
|pre – intermediate b||A2b||72/td>|
|pre – intermediate a||A2a||72|
|upper – intermediate b||B2b||72|
|upper – intermediate a – FCE||B2a||72|
|advanced a – CAE||C1a||72|
|proficiency a – CPE||C2a||72|
FRAMEWORK OF LEVELS AT ‘TOM & EMMA’ SCHOOL OF ENGLISH BASED ON THE CEFR COURSES FOR ADULTS
|ALTE label||CEFR level|
|Below A1 (‘Tourist’)|